Once the flats were finished, I layed down a quick composition for the background. At this point, I already knew my light sources: global lighting and back light, and attempted to create a sunset background. With multiplying mode I start adding shadows to the characters.
I started adding light with a regular hard-edge brush with 75% opacity and 25% flow and adding a regular layer on top of my shadows.
Once I had a general idea of my lights and shadows, I compressed the file separating the characters on one layer and the background on another. I began focusing on just the characters. I used a hard brush over the entire character image, polishing their features and removing all pencil traces. Then, I began to polish the background elements, adding some texture as well.
For my final image, I finished polishing the edges and added a few details, such as the illumination and glow of the suit and web. After finishing, I sent the cover to the editors, who decided they prefered Spiderman's mask on, in order to maintain mystery in the character.
TO SEE MORE EXCLUSIVE ARTWORK FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @jorge_molinam